Friday, March 25, 2011

Sharkey, You're Off The Air!




 When I was younger, I thought it would come like the scene in Good Morning Vietnam: Adrian Cronauer, in the studio on a rant, then a flip of a switch, his levels go dead, meters dark, the power to the board shut down...OFF THE AIR
.
 I've mellowed since those days. I've learned how not to go out that way (but I was prepared if it should come to it...thanks Adrian Cronauer/Robin Williams). No Alan Berg scene, no locked studio, no keys wrapped in a silly box, no Termination Memo (yes with a memo once) no walk with the Box of Shame (ya know the shit from your desk that ends up in the copy paper box you shamefully lug out to the car after being let go...The BOX OF SHAME). None of that glorious, Hollywood style, too good to be true stuff.  It comes to a close on the terms I choose with a fine company that I have been proud to work for.

(drum roll)
 After a rockin' twenty six years (give or take a month or two), I'll turn off the Mic. The On Air light, for me, will go dark. I have to say, I'm a bit nervous about the whole ordeal but, the time has come for a new playlist and some reprogramming.

 December 13, 1984 I received my F.C.C. License. What a day! I was 15 years old and carried a government license! (kinda) I was a glorified button pusher, window washer, trash emptier and FM D.J. Gofer. Meaning anything the DJ's in the KXYL studios needed, I fetched.

 I don't have a huge list of stations that I worked for on a full time basis:
KXYL and KBWD Brownwood TX
WOHT Jackson MS
KTUX Shreveport LA
WMXZ Destin FL
WYZB Ft. Walton Beach FL
WOKK Meridian MS.
I pulled some part-time gigs for a few other stations as well but, part-time doesn't count in my opinion. I enjoyed all of them and was only fired from one (by memo-tacky bastard-still have the memo).
 My favorite? All of them.
 I've had the honor of working with THE BEST JOCKS ON THE PLANET! Put your hands on the radio and feel the warmth and power!! The experiences we shared together will always be kept in my permanent story box (some of them never to see the light of day...i.e. The Midnight Move, The Islands, Conference Room Clothing, Skinny Dip and many more...lol!).  It is because of you, that my career has been so colorful and I thank you. R.I.P. Bwana Jimmy Boyd, The Bull, Valerie Brown, and Taxi Bill.


 Sales Staff. The war goes on, lol!! That is a fact that will never change but, Susan Dillard and I decided that we're both passionate about what we do and it is sale's passion to sell a client and my passion for good radio that makes it all work in the end. I have enjoyed the challenges you continued to provide through the years. Without those challenges my own creativity would have gone stale. Thank you for your passion.

 Managers and P.D.'s. I really should be issuing an apology to a few; now that I look back on things. Having been in the P.D. position, I would have fired my ass a number of times for the shenanigans I pulled back in the day, lol! I finally learned the value of a good lesson and passed it on. The business prowess you taught has made me a much better man and a better community partner.

 Radio Consultants, see the above statement and add this: because my company has the forward thinking to hire the America's Most Wanted of Consultants, I have built a war chest of knowledge (let's hope I don't come back and compete in one of your markets...lol!!)! Having rare opportunity to work with two of Radio's Legends; Charlie Cook and Rusty Walker has been a dream come true. You both have my utmost respect and gratitude.

 Listeners. I never have liked that word. Especially in this context. You may have started as a listener but, soon became some of my best friends. Redneck Jamie comes to mind. I like the term friends better anyway. Thanks for everything. You've taken me into your homes, fed me at your table, checked on me when I was sick....all because you enjoyed listening to me yack between records. I thank you for your time and attention, not just on my behalf but for all of us in this business. We love to entertain. I'm glad you gave me the opportunity to entertain you. Thank you.

 A special thanks to Clay and Eddie Holladay. Thank you for everything. It has been an honor to be the caretaker of your company's flagship station, WOKK. You have always provided the best tools a Program Director could ask for. Because of your family's long commitment to doing good radio I was able to motivate and lead my staff to victory after victory against insurmountable odds. For that I am grateful. I am proud to have worked for the best radio company in America, The Radio People.

 Stay tuned, this blog is my new station from now on. I'm excited to see how life is outside of the public eye and I'll try to post an experience or two here.
 Oh, and if you were wondering what I'm going to do  ..??? Another Blog update on what Todd (Sharkey) Rupe is doing is on the way next on Dead Air-Off Mic!


( I will tell you, it is in Tennessee in the Smoky Mountains...)

5 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!! You are going to leave us hanging like that? C'mon! I heard a little bit on the radio this morning and am a little jealous of your new location....ok ALOT! waiting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find the part about why and what you are going to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to see you yesterday. We will be taking you up on coming to visit you and Kerry! And you know we wish you both the best! Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd, the radio world is not going to be the same with out one of the best radio personalities it's ever had!!! ( you like that one huh?)
    You have become a great friend and I will always have great
    Radio memories!!! And THE ISLAND ;) to keep
    And you better keep that house door locked in the mountains
    Are you and Kerry may come home one day
    And see I have moved in!!!! Good luck to you both
    Love and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wit, charm & humor will be sorely missed. It has been my pleasure to wake up to your voice each morning. Thanks for the wonderful memories. Good luck and God Bless

    ReplyDelete