Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tennessee Bound!

 I am following my woman to Tennessee!! My wife Kerry is a brilliant Physical Therapist and was given an awesome opportunity to further her career in the Smoky Mountains so, she jumped on it. Who couldn't say yes to living in the Smokies???

 I've lived in a vacation destination (Destin, FL) in the past and there is nothing that beats beautiful scenery on the way home from a bad day. It just makes life better. The mood is a bit lighter, the people are a little happier and the activities more plentiful, because it's "Vacationland"! If you love Gatlinburg, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, then you know the area where we're going to be and what it's all about.

 I will be leaving radio for good as mentioned in my earlier blog post and pursuing my degree in Speech and Language Pathology. My work with the Blair Batson Children's hospital, being a Shriner and 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason has inspired me to to be involved with children. The Scottish Rite has a wonderful group of clinics called the  RiteCare Childhood Language Program; one of the Scottish Rite Childhood Language Disorders Programs is located in  the University of Tennessee Hearing and Speech Center, Knoxville Tennessee.
Learn more here:  http://scottishrite.org/about/philanthropy-scholarships/ritecare/ My hope is to finish my degree and work with this program in some form or fashion. I chose this path because of my past radio job. I've used my own voice to communicate for years and I feel compelled to share the privilege I've had with those who are having difficulty in communicating themselves. Since I act like a kid, I figure children are a no-brainer, lol!
ACTUAL VIEW FROM MY BACK YARD! WOW!!
 I'm excited and nervous all the same! I'll be leaving my security blanket of 26 years in radio and going back to school with students that are old enough to be my own kids. Wow, I'm gonna be the old dude in class. I don't know that I can sing "Rocky Top" or wear that construction Orange with the white T since I'm an Alabama Roll Tide Fan!! I may have to Roll Tide a little quieter...hehe.

 I do know that I'm gonna LOVE THE RIDE!!! The Dragon and the best riding in the country is in Tennessee and I can't wait. If you come up on your bike, let me know so we can go ride (I'll know all the cool places by then)!
 It's gonna be another great adventure, this time in Tennessee!

I can taste that Chattanooga Moon Pie now!!

3 comments:

  1. Terry said we will come up and y'all can ride "the dragon." I'll go shopping with Kerry! Love y'all and will miss y'all! You will do great! See you soon! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless and Good Fortune to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the courage to pursue your dream and making such a drastic change! You'll do well, of that I'm sure! CRHOG will be in the area in September if you interested in riding with us again. And I may be up there in July. Again, the very best wishes to you and yours!

    .......chuck

    ReplyDelete