Friday, February 4, 2011

The Amish Don't Die

Aunt Tina's Car-Iowa
My Aunt Jerri called from Ottumwa, IA  to report she is "Surviving The Monster Storm Of 2011!"
     Like most of the U.S., the Corn State is covered in snow; armpit deep and rising.
    She told me how the drifts are coming over the Christmas Chior in the front lawn (still not removed because of the last snow). She didn't figure she would be venturing out anytime soon for the standard bread, milk and eggs because the vehicle is stuck and is sure to become lost in a drift so, she's snowbound.
     We reminisced about back in the day snows. Like the time we all went sledding down hill on a car hood...Oh yes, you think Southern Rednecks are crazy, just wait till you meet their Northern counterparts! (We lived in Iowa till I was 10 then moved to Texas).
    At the end of our conversation, she said she would take some pictures of all the snow and mail them. I told her she should get a computer and join us in this century.
"Naw", she replied "I like the last century".
"Last century!?!" I said "what are ya Amish??"
She came back with "I'm glad I'm not one of those Amish kids, I would've froze to death this week! They don't have electricity ya know and people die in this cold!!"
    We both had a good chuckle and said our goodbyes.
  
     I started to think about The Amish and The Monster Storm of 2011. Come to think of it, you never hear about The Amish people dying in snowstorms. For that matter, when The Big Summer Heat Wave comes and we're dropping dead like a bunch of menopausal women at a Keith Urban concert, The Amish don't...
Maybe Malachi, Ezekiel and Hiram are on to something with their simple, green, no car, no electricity, grow it yourself, make your own clothes and furniture lifestyle. They don't succumb to bad weather but, we do. Yet, we have all the advances they don't. Go figure.
Simply put: The Amish don't die.

1 comment:

  1. I'll never forget the first time I went to "amish country." I was young, very young, and seeing those horse carriages going down the road was like something from the stone age. My parents were probably sick of all the questions I was asking in the car that day. It's true, the simple life maybe be the way to go, but, then we wouldn't be able to blog or have anything to blog about (except for how many eggs we collected that day.)

    ReplyDelete